Monday, October 6, 2008

COMPARISON: UNITY

During today's UNITY critique, Catherine Maynard's unity piece stood out to me in comparison to mine. Both maintained unity in way the twelve panels were spaced along the wooden skewers yet all of her skewers, except one, were supportive in the same way as eleven pierce through the panels while the remaining rod seems to aid the project's movement. While I also pierced eight skewers through my planes for some support, my main supports were the two exterior X-shaped frames, holding the panels by their corners. Catherine's horizontal and vertical planes, along with the horizontal and one vertical rod, limit the angles of each space to 90 degrees. In contrast, I used horizontals and verticals, but the two X frames add other angles to some of the negative space.

No comments: